Selling your home? What do I need?

Get in touch today to discuss the most suitable conveyancing options for you.

Get in Touch

1 Step 1

Selling your home? What do I need?

If you are selling a property, you’ll need to supply some crucial bits of paperwork

Your ID and proof of address

The law requires conveyancers to obtain satisfactory evidence of the identity of their clients to meet with Money Laundering Regulations and help to prevent fraud.

ID fraud has severe consequences, so it is vital that your conveyancer is confident that you are who you say you are. You will probably be asked for at least three forms of ID (e.g. driving licence, passport, utility bill, bank statement etc.).

Title Deeds

You’ll need the Title Deeds to prove ownership. The Deeds also come with a number of other crucial documents such as leases, mortgages, Wills, contracts for sale, planning and building regulation documents, licences, guarantees etc.

The majority of properties are registered, and so the legal title is held by the Land Registry. However, compulsory registration only began in 1990. If you’re trying to track down your original deeds, they could be with the conveyancer who acted for you when you bought the property, or possibly with your mortgage company.


By law, you must provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when selling a home. This provides potential buyers with information on how energy efficient the property is. It will also help them to figure out the expected energy costs.

Once an EPC has been produced it remains valid for ten years. However, if you have made any improvements to change the energy rating of a property (the EPC will list recommendations for doing so), you will need to get a new EPC. Your Estate Agent should be able to help you with this.

Property Information Form

This provides the buyer with detailed information about the property you are selling. It is essential that you complete this accurately and truthfully. Where you fail to provide the necessary information, or if you lie on a form, the buyer might be able to claim against you. Your Conveyancer will provide you with this form.

Fitting and Contents Form

This outlines exactly what will be left in the property when you vacate it. It ensures that there is no discrepancy between you and the buyer over what is or isn’t included in the sale. Your Conveyancer will provide you with this form.

Leasehold Property Enquiry Form

If you are selling a leasehold property, then your landlord or managing agent will have to complete a separate Leasehold Property Enquiry form. This gives the buyer all the information they need regarding the ground rent, service charge, buildings insurance, etc.

If you’re ready to sell a home, contact one of our expert team. Please contact evolve law on 01908 018390 or or visit our website at for more information.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Related Post

Why wait? Receive an instant quote today!

Answer a few simple questions about your property and receive an instant no obligation quote today. What are you waiting for?

We're Winning Awards

What you're saying

We're here to help you

Our team is here to help support your move.